Sunday, September 25, 2016

Eco Printing

Ever since I was a youngster I've had a love affair with texture. The look, feel and colour of fabrics, plants, pebbles, metal, water, wood, ice and snow and so many other simple things one sees or is in contact with everyday. The lines that are formed, the colours of the lines, the length or width of these lines and on and on. As an artist I have found there are hundreds of ways to experience and use texture and one of these discoveries is with eco-printing with plant material. I also love surprises and sometimes you have to let go of control in order to see the magic happen.

After a fabulous stroll through the park, I came home with a few choice leaves. I did a little research on the Internet to find a recipe. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, however I did come away with information to experiment on my own.

Materials needed:
- 140 lb watercolour paper (I used Canson)
- assorted leaves
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- 1 tsp alum
- 3 cups of water
- a few copper pennies

After wetting the watercolour paper, I place the plant material onto the the paper, paper, plant, paper etc. Wrapped elastic bands around the bundle. Next, boil the water, vinegar, alum and add a few copper pennies and put the wrapped bundle into the boiling water and lightly boil for 20 minutes.
Take the bundle and place in a dish or tray with a weight on top and let sit for a couple of hours. When you are tired of waiting, gently unwrap the bundle and set aside to completely dry.

Here are a few photos of my "eco printing"! I love all the gorgeous colours as well! The deep burgundy and reds worked really well.






Until next time...happy creating
Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment